Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What's the point?

So, you've come here at this point because a) I asked/told you to, b) you heard about it from someone I asked or told to come here or c) Google is really on top of its game and you found this in a Google search. Or Yahoo/MSN - whichever is your preferred method of searching the net.

Either way I'm glad you've chosen to pay a visit to what I'm hoping is going to be one of the most extensive, informative and fun zombie blog on the net.

I've been a fan of zombies ever since I was a young'n. I'm talking like at 3 I was trying to take a bite out of my next door neighbor's kid hoping he would turn into a zombie with me - needless to say I was not allowed to play with many kids in the neighborhood. This trend continued throughout Elementary school until I was scorned by one of my teachers and had my parents shoving the fantasy from my head of the dead really coming back to life and thus ending my streek of biting my neighbors and classmates...that they know of.

Anyways, soon an unhealthy, sane questioning obsession became grounded and turned into a well explored and extensive hobby that I still study to this day.

I don't consider myself to be the end all be all of what a zombie expert should be, although I do like to think I'm close. Although I must point out I do not think there is such a thing as a zombie expert but most people tend to.

Zombies are works of fiction and in all actuality cannot be studied the way an animal or human being can be studied. Sure you can watch films and read books and most follow the same basic shambling, flesh-eating corpse formula - but there are those who sometimes think outside of the box. Those who make their zombies run, talk, think, climb on walls, drive down busy streets cursing at the driver ahead of them - case and point is; zombies are not real thus they can really do anything they want. Just like the vampire mythos that has evolved over the last two hundred years, because they are not real they are limitless.

Now let's not go off and say that I find that having a zombie crawl on walls or ceilings makes a whole lot of sense - since zombies are really nothing more than walking corpses they should really be limited to what a person can do, not turn superhuman. However, zombies have been known to come back for various reasons from voodoo curses to demonic posession. Whatever the reason and as long as there's something of a logic behind it, who am I - or anyone else for that matter - to say a zombie wouldn't Zipedee-do-da by you instead of crumbling towards you slower than a turtle with a ten pound weight on its back?

You get a lot of people that try to apply unessecary forms of logic to zombie films. Zombies themselves are illogical. A dead hunk of flesh getting up and walking around is fictional for a reason. Trying to say a zombie running makes no sense because its dead in itself makes no sense.

Anyways I'm rambling on here, I'll get more on my running zombies vs. walking zombies theory another day - I tend to get ahead of myself from time to time and if luck strikes I will catch myself and save it for a later day. Otherwise you'll get a blog that would print out to be over ten pages long.

So - my point with this whole blog. Well I've read many sites, blogs, etc. that seem to get too far from reality for my taste. AllThingsZombie.com comes to mind. Check out the forums there and find out how many of the members there wouldn't mind wasting any of their family members if they had to. Pretty scary.

I have my ideas, my theories and such on zombie outbreaks and the types of zombies that they're are. I think every die hard zombie fan out there does. I mean look at Max Brooks who not only wrote two books on the subject but is now getting one of his books turned into a film! I mean is that impressive or what?

I also have well over two hundred zombie films in my library, everything and anything to do with zombies I generally pick up. Even if it means spending the next ninety minutes of my life in utter agony, I'm a glutton for punishment. But thankfully for every bad zombie film I see, I either have one of my many favorites to return to or discover a diamond in the rough.

So with that being said, I am going to compile many reviews, ideas, and just random tidbits about whatever - as long as it has something to do with zombies. That is the whole point here after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment